World

Marcus Fakana Jailed in Dubai Dies in London Car Crash After Release

A British teenager, Marcus Fakana, who previously made headlines for being jailed in Dubai over a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl has died in a car crash in London, just three months after his release.

Marcus Fakana, 19, killed in Tottenham crash

Marcus Fakana, 19, was a passenger in a vehicle that collided with a truck in Tottenham, north London, in the early hours of Friday. He was rushed to hospital with serious injuries but later died.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that officers had attempted to stop the vehicle, but after a brief 60-second chase, they lost sight of it. Moments later, the car was found crashed into a truck.

Background: Dubai imprisonment and royal pardon

Fakana had been jailed in Dubai after being reported to authorities by the mother of a 17-year-old girl with whom he had a relationship. He was sentenced to one year in prison but was granted a royal pardon by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum in July 2025.

Radha Stirling, his lawyer and founder of the Detained in Dubai group, said Fakana had been deeply affected by his time in prison but was grateful to the British public for their support.
“Marcus was thankful to have regained his freedom and was looking forward to building a positive future,” she said. “Sadly, of all of 2025, he was only free for the three months from the 3rd of July until the 3rd of October.”

Charges filed against driver

The driver of the vehicle, identified as 19-year-old Marwaan Mohamed Huseen of Argyle Road, Tottenham, has been charged in connection with the fatal crash.

Charges include:

  • Causing death by dangerous driving
  • Driving without insurance
  • Driving without a licence
  • Failing to stop

Huseen appeared before Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Saturday and was remanded into custody. He is scheduled to appear at the Old Bailey on 30 October.

Police conduct review launched

The Met Police’s Directorate of Professional Standards has been notified of the incident, and the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has also been informed.

A police spokesperson confirmed: “Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.”

MMI News

Evelyn Ndi

Recent Posts

Université de Yaoundé I : La décision de justice qui invalide le Ph.D de Damaris Mandob et donne raison au Recteur Aurélien Sosso

Ordonnance de non-lieu du 23 avril 2024 – L'envers du décor d'une affaire qui a…

3 hours ago

Lionnes Indomptables au Palais : les téléphones portables sont interdits

Les Lionnes Indomptables, sacrées championnes d’Afrique au Maroc après leur victoire 3-0 contre le Malawi,…

2 days ago

40 ans après Nyos Paul Biya brille toujours par sa passivité face aux drames dans le pays

Ce 21 août 2026 marque les 40 ans de la catastrophe du lac Nyos. En…

2 days ago

Bamenda Congress Hall Decays as Critics Question CPDM’s Record After 43 Years in Power

North West CPDM militants meeting at Congress Hall Bamenda prior to 2025 presidential vote By…

2 days ago

President Biya Sneaks Back Home After 74 Days Abroad

Archive image of Biya's reception by PM Dion Ngute during his return from a previous…

3 days ago

40 Years After Lake Nyos Disaster, Survivors Still Struggle to Rebuild Their Lives

Desolation around lake Nyos in Cameroon on August 01st, 1986. (Photo by Eric BOUVET/Gamma-Rapho via…

3 days ago