Africa

Burkina Faso Claims Foiled Coup Plot with Links to Ivory Coast

Government alleges collaboration between ex-soldiers and jihadist groups in destabilisation attempt

Burkina Faso’s military government says it has thwarted what it calls a “major plot” to overthrow junta leader Captain Ibrahim Traoré, alleging the involvement of actors based in neighbouring Ivory Coast and links to terrorist networks.

Security Minister Mahamadou Sana announced the development on state television on Monday, stating that the attempt was orchestrated by current and former members of the armed forces with connections to jihadist leaders. The alleged plan, according to Sana, aimed to seize control of the presidential palace in a coordinated military assault last week.

“Plan to Sow Chaos”

Speaking during the televised address, Sana said, “The objective of the plotters was to sow total chaos, and place the country under the supervision of an international organisation.” He added that the operation was set to culminate on April 16 with an attack on the presidency by soldiers recruited for the task.

According to Sana, traditional and religious leaders were approached by the plotters in an attempt to persuade senior officers to support the effort. The minister also claimed that sensitive military information had been leaked to insurgent groups to encourage attacks and incite unrest.

External Actors Accused

In a direct accusation, Sana stated, “The brains outside the country are all located in Ivory Coast.” He named two former Burkinabe military officers believed to be behind the plan. No official response has yet been issued by the Ivorian government regarding the allegations.

This is not the first time Burkina Faso has accused its southern neighbour of hosting opposition elements. The junta has previously suggested that dissidents in exile receive support from abroad.

Arrests and Precedents

Several individuals, including two officers, were detained last week in connection with the plot, according to security sources quoted by AFP. The authorities have not publicly identified those arrested.

The latest claim follows a similar announcement last November, when the government said it had foiled a separate plan to destabilise the administration.

Captain Traoré assumed power in a 2022 coup amid rising jihadist violence across the country. Since then, Burkina Faso has withdrawn from the regional bloc ECOWAS alongside Mali and Niger, forming a new alliance of military-led governments. The country has also severed ties with France and increased cooperation with Russia.

Continuing Insecurity

Despite repeated pledges to improve security, large portions of Burkina Faso remain under the control of armed groups. An estimated 40% of the territory is inaccessible to state authorities, with frequent insurgent attacks continuing across the country.

The region, which includes parts of Mali and Niger, now experiences more deaths from terrorist violence than any other part of the world, according to international monitoring groups.

Burkina Faso’s military leadership has consistently framed internal dissent and external criticism as part of broader efforts to undermine its authority. The latest alleged coup attempt underscores the fragility of the current regime amid ongoing conflict and shifting geopolitical alliances.

Evelyn Ndi

Recent Posts

Lionnes Indomptables au Palais : les téléphones portables sont interdits

Les Lionnes Indomptables, sacrées championnes d’Afrique au Maroc après leur victoire 3-0 contre le Malawi,…

19 hours ago

40 ans après Nyos Paul Biya brille toujours par sa passivité face aux drames dans le pays

Ce 21 août 2026 marque les 40 ans de la catastrophe du lac Nyos. En…

22 hours ago

Bamenda Congress Hall Decays as Critics Question CPDM’s Record After 43 Years in Power

North West CPDM militants meeting at Congress Hall Bamenda prior to 2025 presidential vote By…

1 day ago

President Biya Sneaks Back Home After 74 Days Abroad

Archive image of Biya's reception by PM Dion Ngute during his return from a previous…

2 days ago

40 Years After Lake Nyos Disaster, Survivors Still Struggle to Rebuild Their Lives

Desolation around lake Nyos in Cameroon on August 01st, 1986. (Photo by Eric BOUVET/Gamma-Rapho via…

2 days ago

For Stellar Reporting: The Guardian Post Desk Editor Wins Award in US

By Dewah Fabrice Teh Celebrated Desk Editor of The Guardian Post, Mua Patrick, has been…

2 days ago