Human Interest/Society

Desperate Vigil at Dschang Landslide Site as Families Search for Buried Relatives

By Claude Kenfack

Several families have remained steadfast at the Dschang landslide site, refusing to leave until they find the remains of their loved ones, five days since the disaster occurred.

Twelve bodies have been recovered from the site, after a mass of earth and rock descended from the towering Sanchou cliff, covering dozens of people and vehicles last Wednesday.

Since then, many have been clinging to hope, some holding on to little more than a whisper of solace.

Temporary shelters now dot the disaster site as loved ones search for closure.

Pain and Anguish

To Nadine Fleure, the anguish is palpable. “My mother and grandmother went to the farm early in the morning,” recalls Nadine, who is among dozens still searching for their loved ones.

“We have been checking on them since after this accident, to no avail. They are buried in the landslide,” she adds, the exhaustion in her voice matched only by her resolve.

Rescuers dig rubble searching several persons still missing at Dschang Landslide Site

Others share similar stories. One man, stricken with grief, recounts the last moments he saw his family.

“My wife and my three children were headed for Dschang for a funeral. Their bus is among the many that were swallowed by the ground. Their bodies are yet to be retrieved. I am camping here every day, hoping I can at least see my family for the last time,” he reveals.

The National Syndicate of Inter-Urban Drivers has been a pillar of support, not just watching helplessly but taking action.

Their efforts to retrieve the vehicles buried beneath the debris have been tireless, and their presence provides a semblance of solidarity amid the chaos.

“Two of our colleagues are under there and more than fifty something people are still buried inside there. Some are in their vehicles. We are really touched because up till now we don’t know what will happen. We cannot remove their corpses,” one driver said.

Tragically, even the rescuers themselves have not been spared.

A second landslide occurred, claiming members of the very team tasked with retrieving those trapped.

“We have four of ours still buried in that ground. When the incident happened and the rescue operations team was called up, we were quickly dispatched as a team to come rescue lives. In the course of rescue, another set of ground broke off from the hill and ran down on us, burying four of ours, amongst others,” narrated a rescue unit volunteer.

Efforts to clear the debris continue, though anxiety looms large over the potential for further landslides.

Need for Reconstructive Measures

Public Works Minister, Emmanuel Nganou Njoumessi, who visited the site to oversee operations, addressed the dire need for reconstructive measures.

Government officials and security personnel at Dschang Landslide site

“Some topographic studies are being carried out to inform us on where to construct another section of the road,” the Minister said.

“As you can observe, there is no longer a road; the road is completely bad. So, we have to construct another road. My advice is that we all mobilise to assist the military and the rescue operations team so they can retrieve the other bodies buried in the rubble,” he added.

The Governor of the West Region, Awa Fonka Augustine, has stepped in to provide essential support, authorizing the distribution of food and medical supplies to those who have taken up temporary residence at the disaster site.

Mimi Mefo Info (Editor)

Recent Posts

Prisons camerounaises : 412 FCFA par jour pour nourrir un détenu, quand la surpopulation aggrave la précarité

Au Cameroun, nourrir une personne incarcérée coûte officiellement 412 FCFA par jour. Ce chiffre, révélé…

10 hours ago

Péages routiers au Cameroun : où passe l’argent, pendant que les usagers roulent sur des routes en ruine?

Chaque jour, des milliers d'automobilistes camerounais s'arrêtent aux barrières de péage disséminées sur les routes…

10 hours ago

Camair-Co : 15 ans sans bénéfice, 53 milliards FCFA de pertes en trois ans

Quinze ans après son lancement commercial, Camair-Co n'a toujours pas produit un seul exercice bénéficiaire.…

11 hours ago

365,9 milliards de FCFA détournés en 10 ans : la corruption qui prive les Camerounais de santé et d’éducation

L'analyse de Tientcheu Nouake, appuyée sur dix années de rapports de la Commission nationale anti-corruption,…

1 day ago

Samuel Wazizi: Seven Years After His Death in Military Custody, Family Still Awaits His Body

Seven years after the date the Cameroonian military says journalist Samuel Ajiekah Abuwe, popularly known…

1 day ago

Drame de Ndikiniméki : Masséna Ngalle et Ngannou Djoumessi doivent démissionner !

Il aura donc fallu attendre une nouvelle tragédie pour que le ministère des Transports reconnaisse…

1 day ago