Categories: AfricaLive UpdateNews

Three Military Leaders in Guinea, Mali, and Burkina-Faso vow mutual defense if ECOWAS intervenes militarily in Niger

Three West African nations in Guinean Burkina-Faso and Mali ruled by mutinous Soldiers, have vowed a mutual military action if West African leaders carry out any military intervention in Niger. 

Mamady Doumbouya is a Guinean military officer serving as the interim president of Guinea since 1 October 2021. Colonel Assimi Goïta is a Malian military officer who has been interim President of Mali since 28 May 2021.  

While Ibrahim Traoré (born c. 1988) is a Burkinabé military officer who has been the interim leader of Burkina Faso since the 30 September 2022 coup d’état which ousted interim president Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba. 

On Monday, the trio said a military intervention in Niger would be considered a “declaration of war” against them, as the junta attempts to consolidate power after a coup last week. 

The West African regional body known as ECOWAS announced travel and economic sanctions against Niger on Sunday over the coup, and said it would use force if the coup leaders don’t reinstate Bazoum within one week.  

Deposed president Bazoum’s government was one of the West’s last democratic partners against West African extremists. 

In a joint statement from the military governments of Mali and 

Burkina Faso, the two countries wrote that “any military intervention against Niger will be considered as a declaration of war against Burkina Faso and Mali.” 

Col. Abdoulaye Maiga, Mali’s state minister for Territorial 

Administration and Decentralisation read the joint statement on Malian state TV Monday evening. The two countries also denounced ECOWAS economic sanctions as “illegal, illegitimate, and inhumane” and refused to apply them. 

Guinea’s Mamady Doumbouya later joined the call. 

On Sunday, Guinea, which is another country under military rule since 2021, issued a statement in support of Niger’s junta and urged ECOWAS to “come to its senses.” 

“The sanctions measures advocated by ECOWAS, including military intervention, are an option that would not be a solution to the current problem, but would lead to a human disaster whose consequences could extend beyond Niger’s borders,” said Ibrahima Sory Bangoura, general of the brigade in a statement from the ruling party. He added the Guinea would not apply the sanctions. 

In anticipation of the ECOWAS decision Sunday, thousands of pro-junta 

supporters took to the streets in Niamey, denouncing France, waving Russian flags along with signs reading “Down with France,” and supporting Russian President Vladimir Putin and telling the international community to stay away. 

Mimi Mefo Info (MMI)

Recent Posts

Université de Yaoundé I : La décision de justice qui invalide le Ph.D de Damaris Mandob et donne raison au Recteur Aurélien Sosso

Ordonnance de non-lieu du 23 avril 2024 – L'envers du décor d'une affaire qui a…

12 hours ago

Lionnes Indomptables au Palais : les téléphones portables sont interdits

Les Lionnes Indomptables, sacrées championnes d’Afrique au Maroc après leur victoire 3-0 contre le Malawi,…

2 days ago

40 ans après Nyos Paul Biya brille toujours par sa passivité face aux drames dans le pays

Ce 21 août 2026 marque les 40 ans de la catastrophe du lac Nyos. En…

2 days ago

Bamenda Congress Hall Decays as Critics Question CPDM’s Record After 43 Years in Power

North West CPDM militants meeting at Congress Hall Bamenda prior to 2025 presidential vote By…

2 days ago

President Biya Sneaks Back Home After 74 Days Abroad

Archive image of Biya's reception by PM Dion Ngute during his return from a previous…

3 days ago

40 Years After Lake Nyos Disaster, Survivors Still Struggle to Rebuild Their Lives

Desolation around lake Nyos in Cameroon on August 01st, 1986. (Photo by Eric BOUVET/Gamma-Rapho via…

3 days ago