Buea: Three vehicles burned, several feared dead in separatist attack

Several people are feared dead in a separatist attack that left at least three vehicles burned in Buea this Monday night.

Pictures and videos MMI received from citizen journalists showed the vehicles engulfed by flames amid heavy gunfire.

The vehicles were burned, particularly around St. Luke Junction along the Buea Central Market Road, after Ambazonia fighters stormed the area around 9 p.m., firing heavily.

A source on the ground has told MMI that the number of casualties is not yet ascertained, but about five people may have been killed in the attack. “So far, we hear five people have died, we might only have details in the morning. Everyone is so scared, and we are all indoors,” said our source.

Watch video of attack below!

No separatist group has yet claimed responsibility for the incident, which is the first notable gun shooting in Buea, headquarters of Cameroon’s embattled South West Region, this year.

Buea, fondly called the “City of Legendary Hospitality,” has been relatively calm since a separatist attack in the Muea neighbourhood claimed three lives on September 7, 2023.

The separatists who have been fighting for a separate state called Ambazonia in the English-speaking Regions have launched sporadic attacks on Buea in the past, with several of them aimed at reinforcing the Monday ghost towns and lockdowns.

It remains unclear what provoked today’s attack.

Mimi Mefo Info

Tata Mbunwe

Recent Posts

Lionnes Indomptables au Palais : les téléphones portables sont interdits

Les Lionnes Indomptables, sacrées championnes d’Afrique au Maroc après leur victoire 3-0 contre le Malawi,…

16 hours ago

40 ans après Nyos Paul Biya brille toujours par sa passivité face aux drames dans le pays

Ce 21 août 2026 marque les 40 ans de la catastrophe du lac Nyos. En…

18 hours ago

Bamenda Congress Hall Decays as Critics Question CPDM’s Record After 43 Years in Power

North West CPDM militants meeting at Congress Hall Bamenda prior to 2025 presidential vote By…

21 hours ago

President Biya Sneaks Back Home After 74 Days Abroad

Archive image of Biya's reception by PM Dion Ngute during his return from a previous…

2 days ago

40 Years After Lake Nyos Disaster, Survivors Still Struggle to Rebuild Their Lives

Desolation around lake Nyos in Cameroon on August 01st, 1986. (Photo by Eric BOUVET/Gamma-Rapho via…

2 days ago

For Stellar Reporting: The Guardian Post Desk Editor Wins Award in US

By Dewah Fabrice Teh Celebrated Desk Editor of The Guardian Post, Mua Patrick, has been…

2 days ago