Tata Melitia, an eight-year-old, tragically passed away, while two of her classmates are currently receiving intensive care at the Bamenda Regional hospital.
According to school authorities, the students of Class 4 at the Petina Bilingual Nursery and Primary School in Bamenda accidentally ingested a powdered substance while on school premises.
The entire class was quickly taken to the hospital after three students reported stomach issues following the consumption of the sachet substance.
“It was at about 10 a.m. when we realised that Melitia was in distress. We rushed her to the hospital. And while doctors were battling to save her, we noticed two others manifesting like she did. So we rushed the whole class to the hospital,” says Sama Clement, head teacher of the school.
Panicking parents stormed the hospital to inquire about their children’s conditions upon hearing about what had happened.
The situation of the majority of the pupils has been stabilized.
“When I came to the hospital I was scared I would lose my daughter. Thank God her situation has been stabilised, and she is even eating, though she still complains of stomach aches,” says a parent.
The composition of the powdered substance contained in the sachet has not yet been tested.
The North West Regional Delegate of Basic Education has not yet made a public statement regarding the unfortunate situation.
However, school authorities have stated their intention to implement stricter measures in order to prevent a recurrence of the unfortunate situation.
This is not the first time that concerns have been raised about what children consume in school. Recently, MMI reported the case of a woman who sent poisoned food through her child to give others in school.