Many shopkeepers are still in utter shock and are inconsolable after their shops were completely consumed by a fire which broke out in the market yesterday.
Corroborating sources add that the fire, whose origin hasn’t been established, caused a lot of material damage to the market infrastructure.
Most of the provision stores that were directly affected by the fire had their foodstuffs and other products completely charred by the flames.
The damage might have been worse had it not been for the prompt intervention of the firefighting unit of the army that came in time to prevent the whole market from melting to the ground.
Some distressed businessmen who had their shops consumed said the fire had destroyed all they ever had, leaving them to begin everything afresh.
Though the origin of the fire is still unknown, various sources at the market have it that the incident might have been sparked by a short circuit from one of the affected shops.
An investigation, meanwhile, has been opened by the competent authorities to determine the cause of the fire and seek better preventive measures against similar occurrences in the future.