Economy

Devastating Fire Guts Shops at Mile 17 Motor Park in Buea

At least four shops have been reduced to ashes at the Mile 17 Motor Park, Buea, following a devastating fire that broke out in the early hours of this Tuesday, October 29, 2024.

According to an eyewitnesses, the fire began around 1 am, sweeping through the shops before neighbours and passersby joined in an effort to bring the blaze under control.

By 3 am, their collective actions managed to contain the flames, but not before significant damage had been inflicted.

“The fire started from Shed 9 going through to Shed 12. When we saw the heavy smoke in Shed 9 around 1 am, we tried breaking into the other sheds to prevent further losses, but to no avail.

“We even tried quenching the fire, but it was impossible. It was only around 3am that our efforts yielded fruits and we managed to control the flames. It had already consumed those four sheds,” Thomas, a witness, told MMI.

Huge Financial Losses

Preliminary estimates suggest that material losses from the incident amount to hundreds of millions of francs CFA.

The affected shops were said to contain valuable goods, including electronics, clothing, and food supplies, all of which were destroyed in the blaze.

The incident has left shop owners and the community in shock, as many individuals rely on these small businesses for their livelihoods.

Although no injuries were reported, the financial impact is expected to be significant, particularly for local merchants who were directly affected.

“I am finished. I just restocked my shop on Saturday. I have not even made any major sales yet. This is a heavy financial blow to me and my family,” lamented the owner of shed 9.

While the cause of the fire remains unknown, authorities are expected to launch an investigation to determine its origins and assess preventive measures.

In the meantime, community members are rallying to support those affected, as many shop owners now face the daunting task of rebuilding from scratch.

Since the Mile 17 Motor Park area is a focal point for commercial activity in Buea, today’s tragedy serves as a stark reminder of the vulnerability that local businesses face in the absence of adequate fire safety measures.

As the investigation unfolds, local leaders and residents alike are calling for greater awareness and preparedness to safeguard against future incidents.

Claude Kengfack

Recent Posts

Lionnes Indomptables au Palais : les téléphones portables sont interdits

Les Lionnes Indomptables, sacrées championnes d’Afrique au Maroc après leur victoire 3-0 contre le Malawi,…

11 hours ago

40 ans après Nyos Paul Biya brille toujours par sa passivité face aux drames dans le pays

Ce 21 août 2026 marque les 40 ans de la catastrophe du lac Nyos. En…

13 hours ago

Bamenda Congress Hall Decays as Critics Question CPDM’s Record After 43 Years in Power

North West CPDM militants meeting at Congress Hall Bamenda prior to 2025 presidential vote By…

17 hours ago

President Biya Sneaks Back Home After 74 Days Abroad

Archive image of Biya's reception by PM Dion Ngute during his return from a previous…

1 day ago

40 Years After Lake Nyos Disaster, Survivors Still Struggle to Rebuild Their Lives

Desolation around lake Nyos in Cameroon on August 01st, 1986. (Photo by Eric BOUVET/Gamma-Rapho via…

2 days ago

For Stellar Reporting: The Guardian Post Desk Editor Wins Award in US

By Dewah Fabrice Teh Celebrated Desk Editor of The Guardian Post, Mua Patrick, has been…

2 days ago