The Governor of the Littoral region, Samuel Dieudonne Ivaha Diboua has suspended works on the disputed Dikolo village site wherein indigenes have been contesting the demolition of their homes.
Ivaha Diboua announced the suspension of works on the site Saturday May 28. This was in the course of a meeting he had with traditional rulers and other members of the Dikolo community.
Following a good number of demonstrations recently carried out in Douala on the Dikolo land expropriation crisis, some traditional chiefs resorted to coming together to make their voices heard.
At the same meeting, an ad hoc committee was created to look into the land issue. Ivaha told reporters at the end of the meeting that, some of the owners of land in the disputed area had been compensated and were aware they had to move. Some he said had even relocated while others were not aware.
The administrator stated that, such misunderstanding among others would be addressed as the committee gets to work.
“I decided then to set up a committee, including the members of parliament, my Secretary General who is president, the assistant SDO of Wourri and the technical services of MINCAF, MINEPIA and the rest, to come together and check file after file all what the claims are, ” the administrator told the press.
According to Pamphile Yobe, Secretary General of Ngondo, one of their main grievances is that the expropriation is carried out for private and not public interest, which according to them is unjust.
“The main issue is that there are many errors concerning that affair of Dikolo because expropriation should be done for public utility not for private interest. But what has been done is that, the expropriation has been done for some private persons and that’s not fair,” Yobe stated.
To recall that, a private investor is said to be on course to construct a multibillion hotel on the disputed land. Since the demolition of structures on the land weeks back, there have been dissenting voices against the project. On Ascension Day, hundreds of Dikolo inhabitants flooded the streets of Douala protesting against what they said is illegal expropriation.
By Amina Hilda
The Mimi Mefo Info Team, (MMI) appreciates all your constant support.
We are driven by the fact that you remain our only source of inspiration, as we continue to gather, write and publish stories without fear or favour.
These are, however, very trying times for several journalists, especially for MMI whose reporters have to brave all the odds to work remotely for fear of reprisal attacks.
That’s why we continue to ask for your constant support.
How to support us!
*Please share our website link with friends and loved ones daily
*You can also support our dynamic team working day in and day out to keep you up to date, with any amount.
Use the following payment methods:
Mobile money: +237679135573
Bank Transfer: Account name: MIMI MEFO INFO LTD
Intermediary bank SWIFT: BARCGB22 (only use if required by sender bank)*