There are 719 active coronavirus cases in Cameroon, 43 deaths, 668 recoveries with a total of 1.430 infected cases in Cameroon as of today. Statistics given by the Minister of Public Health today. He applauded the improvement but says measures should be respected seriously.
All Mosques and Churches suspended indefinitely at the Douala 4 Sub division in the Wouri division. This is a decision by the D.O., Issa Daouda to enhance the respect of social distancing. He says defaulters will face the law.
A Cameroonian has died of COVID-19 in Gabon. Dr Tanguy who was a surgeon passed away at the Libreville military hospital. He had been designated the best young surgeon at the World Congress of endoscopic surgery in gynecology in April 2018 in Yaoundé.
The Anglophone regions in Cameroon stand a greater risk in the face of COVID-19 if the government fails to call for a ceasefire. The groups: “Mothers of Nation” and “Stand Up for Cameroon” say it is pretty difficult respecting COVID-19 measures when shooting is still going on in the area.
2018 presidential candidate, Serge Espoir Matomba has warned against neglecting other health threats as the nation faces the COVID-19 virus. Three deaths, he says have been recorded in Bonaberi, Douala due to cholera.
Dr Dorothy Achu, Coordinator of the national malaria control program says the likely increase in deaths caused by malaria is partly due to insufficient use of long-lasting treated mosquito nets and lack of resources to effectively control the disease. She made the declaration ahead of the 13th world malaria day celebrated tomorrow worldwide. Health experts have warned that the disease still kills more than the Coronavirus in Cameroon and should not be neglected.
300 beds for the treatment of COVID-19 cases will be put up at the Douala Laquintinine hospital and at the Hôpital Jamot in Yaounde according to the Minister of Public Health. Outlining that the treatment of COVID-19 cases is the priority of the government. It was equally said 70 new blocks for reanimation will be set up in the two aforementioned health establishments.
The Minister of Public Health in Cameroon says the response plan against COVID-19 across the Country has been positive six weeks after the launch on March 5th 2020. Highlighting that the strategic response plan helped to limit the number of infections across the country far below the projected 30 000, he says the number of confirmed cases is proportionate to the rate of testing across the country. Out of the total number tested, 80% tested positive.
Human Right Watch says government’s findings on the Ngarbuh massacre are flawed but are an important first step towards getting justice. “The attack in Ngarbuh was not an isolated case, but part of a larger pattern of serious human rights violations by the Cameroonian security forces in the Anglophone regions” says the human rights body.
Douala City dwellers have expressed fears over what they qualified as manslaughter across the city. The reactions follow the gruesome murder of at least three persons in less than 48 hours. After the murder of two young persons in the Ndokoti and Songmahop neighborhoods Thursday April 23rd, a young man called Gaiteng was found slaughtered in his single room in the Deido neighbourhood of the city- Friday April 24th 2020.
Neighbours say he was killed by yet to be identified individual (s) last night. His neck was cut off. He was a hawker in Douala.
Herman J. Cohen has said the actions of separatist fighters are beginning to discredit them before Anglophones. Lauding government action on the Ngarbuh massacre, the diplomat says it is an indication that there can be peace. To him, it is time to kick off US led mediatio
The SDO for Ndian Division has begged the the newly installed Mayor of Mundemba and his deputies not to abandon the Council to the SDO and escape to other towns again, as was the case in 2019. He was speaking in Mundemba while commissioning them to office. He warned that his eyes will be on them for sanctions, as the law is not a respecter of persons.
Burundi’s main opposition party, the National Congress for Liberty (CNL), says about 10 of its members have been killed and 200 others jailed ahead of next month’s general elections. Party spokesman Térence Manirambona told journalists in the main city of Bujumbura that political intolerance and violence against their members had intensified. Five candidates, all men, are standing to replace President Pierre Nkurunziza, who has been in power since 2005.
Kenyans wishing to return home from China will be able to do so next Friday – but will have to buy their own tickets, costing $750 (£608). The Kenya Airways flight will be leaving on 1 May from Guangzhou, the city which has become a hub for Africans in China. Earlier this month community leaders there said the vast majority of the city’s African population were forced into quarantine or were sleeping on the streets.
At least 12 rangers have been killed by suspected Hutu militiamen in an attack at the Virunga National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo. A government official said the attack had been the deadliest in recent history. Cosma Wilungula said around 60 members of the FDLR had ambushed a convoy of civilians that was being protected by the rangers.
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa has laughed off his failed attempt to demonstrate how to put on a face mask during a live national TV address last night. “For those who are laughing at me, I’m going to open a TV channel where I’m going to teach people how to put on a mask,” Mr Ramapahosa joked with journalists during a visit to a quarantine facility in Johannesburg. The fumble has led to widespread mockery on social media and the hashtags #MaskOnChallenge and #CyrilMaskChallenge trending on Twitter.
The head of Africa’s biggest air carrier, Ethiopian Airlines, has defended his decision not to suspend flights to China, even at the height of the coronavirus outbreak there. The airline was one of a handful of flight companies that continued to offer services to cities such as Beijing and Shanghai earlier this year. Tewolde Gebremariam told the BBC his company had acted as a “lifeline” for African economies highly dependent on China for trade.
An international pressure group has accused the Rwandan security forces of killing, raping and arresting people since a coronavirus lockdown came into force. Human Rights Watch says at least two people have been shot dead in the southern Nyanza district. It says those accused of breaking lockdown rules have been detained in stadiums, and women raped by men in military uniforms. Journalists and bloggers who have reported on the alleged abuses have been detained.
(Foreign news: BBC)