With calls for an investigation on the rise, many have raised fears as to the safety of eyewitnesses.
The government the UN instructs, should ensure these witnesses are protected.
Some of the survivors of the massacre CNA reports were two little children sent early that morning to deliver vegetables to a family in the opposite direction to the approaching armed men and Fulanis. The kids later returned to find corpses of their siblings, making them the only survivors in their families.
Another case was that of Oliver who heard gunshots in a neighboring compound and immediately jumped out of bed half-naked, hiding under coffee plants by his house. A few seconds later, he witnessed his house burnt to ashes.
CNA reports He had slept in his grass-thatched house alone, while his heavily pregnant wife slept with his mother and the rest of the family members in the other houses. From his hiding place, he watched with horror the killing of his whole family. Nine were killed, some of them shot as they came out of the house.
Among other casualties was his sister who was killed in bed while breastfeeding her child. The baby was shot on the elbow of her mother while hanging unto her mother’s breast. The nursing mother’s legs were roasted.
Another experience was that of Yusufu who had left his house early that morning to check on his livestock up the hills of Ngarbuh. He had not gone too far when gunshots broke the peace of the village. After hiding in a nearby bush, he would later come back to find his pregnant wife and his father killed and completely roasted, the blood-stained compound testified to him that the victims were killed outside and thrown back into the house.
Yusufu’s thoughts were later confirmed by his 12-years old nephew who was an eyewitness. The boy who says he recognized one of the Fulani men who came with the soldiers testifies that the soldiers killed his grandfather without a question. His 8-months pregnant aunt, however, was asked to produce the gun and was shot after she having one.
They had earlier shot and killed their dog and goats and made away with Yusufu’s motorcycle.
The Headmaster of government primary school, Ngarbuh 3, yesterday made public names of deceased victims who were pupils in his institution as well as their parents.
Below are their names as listed by CNA
Sika Family, all 7 dead
Sika Ibrahim (father) 45 years old
Sika Assana(pregnant mother)
Sika Amsa- 9 years old, class 4
Sika Alima- 7 years old, class 3
Sika Yamsi- 6 years old, class 3
Sika Yasimiratou- 12 years old, class 6
Sika Soliatou- 5 years old, class 1
Kwecheri Gladys and 8 other victims in her family, all dead
Shey Diana- 15 years old, class 6
Shey Midian – 13 years, old class 6
Shey Jude- 9 years old, class 3
Shey Tracy- 5 years old, class 1
Shey Cynthia- 6 years old class 2
Mary Angel- 4 years old, Government nursery school
Berinyuy -5 months old
Janet Ya’a- 45 years old
Family Of Pa Abdulai Sunjo
Pa Abdulai Sunjo- 80 years old
Muamshatu- 30 years old
Family Of Pa Alidu Bah
Pa Alidu Bah- 75 years old.
Kinyui, female- 60 years old
Mubela, female- 7 years old.
Shuka, female, 30 years old: (pregnant at now at Banso Baptist Hospital. She lost the pregnancy).
Justine, male, 18 years old.
Children Who Survived The Carnage
Family Of Sika
Shakira, female, 12 years old
Usani, male, 9 years old
Gambo, male, 6 years old
Family Of Kwecheri Gladys
Ringnule, male, 43 years old
Total Number Of People Killed 23 as of Saturday, February 15, 2020
Killed and roasted, 14
Killed but not roasted, 9
Total Number Of Children Killed: 14
Total Number Of Adults Killed
Women, 4, including 1 pregnant woman.
A House Razed At Upper Ngar (Ngarbuh 2)
Houses razed, 13
Number of neighborhoods displaced, 4( Ngarbuh, Buh, Fiiru, Mbam)
The World Reacts
Almost a week after the Ngarbuh Massacre in Donga Mantung division of the North West region, several calls are still being made for accountability.
In a statement yesterday, communication minister Emmanuel Sadi said government forces were not responsible but encouraged them to undertake more raids in the regions.
In condemning the massacre, the US embassy says “we call on the government to authorise an independent investigation, ensure safety of witnesses, and bring perpetrators to justice. The violence must stop”.
The same message was echoed by the US assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Tibor Nagy.
Yesterday, former Ghanaian military ruler, Jerry Rawlings also expressed his frustration over the neglect of the crisis by the international community, calling on especially the African Union to react. “If we are so powerless to act, can’t we at the very least condemn this mindless savagery by President Paul Biya? How can we live with the thought of human beings being surrounded with guns and lighted up to burn, roasted alive? Why?” He asked.
“The time has come to put an end to this modern day barbarism. Enough of paying lip service to the South Cameroons problem” Rawlings added.
Human rights advocate, Nkongho Felix Agbor also called for an investigation into the crime for perpetrators to be brought to book. Commenting on the incident too, the United Nations noted that witnesses say government is responsible for the massacre.