A woman named Maman Marie has died in Oyack near Mbalmayo, after being electrocuted while answering a call with her phone charger plugged in. The unfortunate event unfolded on Sunday, November 26, 2023.
Reports indicate that Maman Marie was using her phone while it was charging when she received an incoming call. Upon answering, she immediately experienced a shock, collapsing as a result. Unfortunately, due to heavy rains at the time, she couldn’t be swiftly transported to the hospital. Tragically, she passed away before receiving medical attention.
The cause of death was identified as electrocution, with speculation that a faulty phone charger led to an electrical leak. The electric current passed through the phone, affecting the woman’s body and resulting in her untimely demise.
According to a close source, the rain may have made the shock more severe, and many people believe that the storm’s lightning may have intensified the impact.
This incident serves as a poignant reminder of the hazards associated with using electronic devices while they are charging. It underscores the importance of ensuring that phone chargers are in optimal condition and properly connected to grounded outlets. Moreover, caution should be exercised against using phones while they are charging, as this significantly elevates the risk of electrocution.
Electrocution can lead to severe burns at the entry and exit points, causing internal damage whose extent depends on factors such as the type of current, the tissues involved, and the duration of contact with the current. The tragic event in Oyack emphasises the critical need for heightened awareness regarding electrical safety.