Civilians Continue To Bleed As Soldiers, Separatists Fight On – Four Million People Affected

Civilians have continued to suffer the brunt of the armed conflict in the North West and South West Regions of Cameroon as the crisis persists.

In their most recent report, the mission of the United Nations Office for the coordination of humanitarian affairs (OCHA), said four million people are affected by the armed conflict while 1.3million persons are in need.

OCHA added that as the situation deteriorates, “Survivors of violence and abuses, need access to better protection…”

The report also highlights attacks on homes, hospitals and civilians.
“…the security situation continues to be of serious concern with civilian casualties, destruction of property,
abductions and allegations of burning down of houses and destruction of property.

Dozens of houses have been
affected in War, Taku Weh, Keifekah, Kesu-Wum, Mbessa and Mbongong (all NW).

On 18 March, three men
accused of doing fortification rituals for non-state armed groups (NSAGs) in Nkor (NW) were reportedly shot.

The same day, three alleged members of non-state armed groups (NSAGs) in Bambalang and Oku (NW) were

On 21 March, a NSAG camp in Mmock Mbie, SW, was destroyed, with three fighters of the group Red
Dragons allegedly killed.

During the period of 21 to 28 March, incident levels were particularly high in Wum (NW) resulting in five deaths,
allegedly committed by the military.

NSAGs continue abducting civilians and government employees and attacking education facilities. For example,
on 8 March, NSAGs abducted the chief of Mbipgo village (NW) before releasing him hours later. The same day,
Non State Armed Groups reportedly abducted 20 members of the University of Buea (SW) football team and a former Minister,
Emmanuel Ngafeson, in Bamenda (NW) before releasing them on 21 and 31 March respectively.
The head
coach of Yong Sport Academy, a football club in Bamenda (NW) was kidnapped before being released hours
On the night of 30 March, a fire destroyed the Muyuka district hospital. All patients and medical personnel were
successfully evacuated. The regional Delegate of health launched an investigation into the cause of the incident.
The position of the SW Regional officials is that the hospital was not attacked; instead the incident was caused by electrical fault….”

Mimi Mefo Info

+(237) 6791 35573 Donate

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button