1 Batim village in Noni Subdivision is deserted this evening after three persons were killed and houses set ablaze earlier in the afternoon. The villagers say military men stationed in Nkor, a neighbouring village still in Bui division are responsible for the atrocities. This is the fifth time the village has been attacked by the military in less than four months in an attempt to fight ‘Amba boys’.
2 ‘Soldiers’ Wreak Havoc in Nambili. Pains and Frustration reigns in Nambili, a neighbourhood in Banga Banga Bakundu, South West region of Cameroon after the havoc caused by men in military outfit on Wednesday August 21st, 2019. The suspected soldiers according to villagers set several houses on fire burning two persons who were inside alive, caught two other persons and throw them into the burning flames. Villagers say the shocking scene of the painful dead of victims is something that will haunt them for a long time to come. Mimi Mefo Info cannot independently confirm the identity of perpetrators, as no one has claimed responsibility.
3 Authorities in Buea have been developing methods to encourage kids to go back to school. South west regional delegate of secondary education says schools in insecure places will be relocated to ensure kids study in safe environments. Dr. Hannah Etonde mentioned that during an outdoor special radio broadcast program organised by CRTV today in the presence of the governor Bernard Okalia Bilai, other personalities, parents and students. Meantime, some people have been fleeing the town of Kumba for fear of the lockdown announced on social media by some separatist fighters.
4 Travel agencies in major towns and cities in Cameroon are witnessing a boom in the number of passengers seeking their services. Less than ten days to school resumption, pupils and students are returning to their educational centres. Drivers and other road users have been called upon by officials of the ministry of transport to be more prudent while on the road.
5 Two kids and a lady have died of food poisoning in New Bell Douala. Mimi Mefo Info learnt that the trio died immediately after consuming Mbongo Chobi prepared by the deceased lady. The kids of 2 and 5 years old each died at home while the lady died at the emergency unit of the Douala Laquintinine hospital. Medical reports confirmed they were poisoned, but it remains uncertain who poisoned them. Tenants of the compound have been arrested and detained for investigations. Deaths related to food poisoning have been in an increased in Cameroon lately.
6 The District Medical Officer For Eyumojock and 15 other persons have been released. Dr Boniface Fotaboh and a group of 15 other persons were abducted early today on their way to Mamfe from Eyumojock. Their vehicles were stopped by heavily armed men who used two trucks to block the road.
7 The National President of the Popular Action Party (PAP) Njang Denis says the Biya regime is pretentious and does not have the stability of Cameroon at heart. He argued that a regime interested in the stability of Cameroon would have listened to national and international calls for dialogue, negotiated with Sisiku Tabe and Co instead of sentencing them to life at this very critical period of the political and security life of Cameroon.
8 Roger Justin NOAH ,Deputy Secretary General of the Cameroon Renaissance Movement Political Party says the life jail term slammed on Sisiku Ayuk Tabe and Co is concrete evidence of the double standards of the Biya regime, which claims to be advocating for peace and at the same time sowing the seeds of war in Cameroon .
9 Douala city council plans to rehabilitate streets in Douala 5. Circulation around Total Cite Des Palmier, Hospital Chinois, Douala General hospital, Total Makepe, phamarcie and Parcour vita in Douala five subdivision might be perturbed beginning Saturday August 24th, 2019. According to the Government Delegate to the Douala city council Dr Fritz Ntone construction works to rehabilitate the stretches will begin on the said date. This comes after repeated media reports in the very bad state of the stretches in Douala
10 There is a power tussle at the helm of Cameroon Airline Cooperation – CAMAIR CO. The board chair who doubles as the minister of transport has cancelled all new appointments and other transfer of personnel made by the general manager of the company. In a release signed by Jean Ernest Ngalle Bibehe, he called on Louis Georges Njifendi Koutou to respect hierarchy stressing that he carried out the changes without the approval of the board chair.
11 The deadline given for electricity to be available throughout the nation’s political capital Yaoundé has expired today Friday August 23rd with many quarters still without electricity supply. The Minister for water and energy Gaston Eloudou Essomba visiting the site of works at the Melen substation says the electricity will be reconnected in three days. Technicians are carrying out finishing touches after installing new equipment purchased by the state.
12 Contraband goods of different types worth millions of francs CFA have been confiscated in Mbalmayo in Nyong et So’o division in the centre region of Cameroon. Officials of the ministry of trade headed by minister Luc Magloire Mbarga Atangana launched the operation, which led to the confiscation of the goods, although the owner of the goods is said to have escaped and is at large. The officials say the poor quality of the goods pose a serious threat to the health of the general population.
13 The executive of Cameroon football federation FECAFOOT has suspended Cameroon football professional league (LFPC). In a release sign by the president of FECAFOOT Seidou Mbombo Njoya, he states that the professional league headed by General Pierre Semengue has violated several rules and regulations in running the league. The suspension has therefore cancelled the day for the state of league marches earlier scheduled for Sunday September 1st. General Pierre Semengue says he and the league will not respect the suspension.
14 The United States authorities have charged 80 people for participating in a conspiracy to steal millions of dollars. Prosecutors say it is one of the “largest cases of its kind in US history”. According to prosecutors most of those charged are Nigerian nationals. They accused persons are said to have been using business email fraud schemes and romance scams to ensnare their victims – a majority of whom are elderly. It is reported that 14 suspects have so far been arrested across the US, 11 of whom were in Los Angeles alone. Others are said to be in Nigeria and authorities of the country have indicated their willingness to cooperate with US.
15 The Swedish retail giant H&M has partnered with South African brand Mantsho, in what has been described by CNN as the “first ever collaboration with an African designer.” The Mantsho fashion label was created in 2004 by Palesa Mokubung, a Johannesburg-based designer. It has long become a global sensation, gracing runways in countries such as the United States, India and Greece. ‘Mantsho’ is a Sesotho word which means “Black is beautiful.”
16 Uganda confirmed today that it had blocked online access to Rwanda’s main state-owned newspaper on grounds of national security. This action comes only two days after both African countries signed a treaty to end tensions that led to a shutdown of their busiest border crossing for six months. Godfrey Mutabazi, Executive Director of the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) confirmed this saying: “We have blocked it,”, adding that the Rwandan newspaper had been identified by a government agency in charge of internal security as “a hostile platform that is likely to cause insecurity in this country.” Uganda’s communications regulator mandated all internet service providers to block access to New Times website in the country, Mr. Mutabazi confirmed to Reuters.