Twelve-year-old Gertrude Clara and her five-year-old brother, Andre Célestin, reportedly died on February 3 after eating rice and groundnut stew from their neighbour at Newbell, Douala.
One of the deceased children’s relatives said the neighbour, a hairdresser by profession, prepared the meal and sent it to to these children through her sister.
The deceased children’s mother and cousin are said to have stepped out for a visit.
“In the evening after having consumed the food, the little one began complaining of stomach ache. We brought him to the hospital but he didn’t survive,” narrated Tawei Françoise, older sister to the deceased.
She added, “While at the hospital, we received a call indicating that his elder sister is equally in pain. She began bleeding from the mouth, the nose and the ears before later giving up the ghost as well.”
Other relatives of the deceased who had eaten the food reportedly fell ill too and are currently receiving medications.
Meanwhile, the police have detained the neighbor who is suspected to have poisoned the food before giving to the children.
By Amina Hilda